|Bike Box Volunteer - Jim Roth
GGTC has 4 bike boxes available for rent - for GGTC Members Only
Bike Box Policies:
- Rental available in 7 day increments.
- Rental fees are $10.00 per case per week, checks preferred.
- Three week maximum rental during peak season (April 1 through September 30).
- No refunds on the rental fee once reservations are made.
- Any reservation changes require prior approval or coordinator, as it may affect other reservations.
- $25 a day late fee, with possibility of losing future rental privileges depending on circumstances.
- A deposit of $100.00 per case is required, a separate check from the rental fee and checks only. Your deposit check will be returned upon the safe return of the bike case.
- Do NOT give the case to someone without coordinator's approval. If case is passed on without approval, $100 deposit will be forfeited and rental priviledges suspended. (we really don't want to have to enforce this rule).
Confirmed reservations will be displayed in the above calendar.
Please include the following information in your email:
number, Email, Dates of Reservation Request
Notification of availability will be returned via email, with instructions for payment of rental fee & deposit (check only) and rental agreement (for signature).
Once check payment and signed agreement are received, instructions for pick-up will be provided.
ARE NOT CONFIRMED UNTIL PAPERWORK AND CHECKS ARE RECIEVED.
A bit about the cases
The cases are from TRICO. They accommodate most bike sizes (I have not heard of anyone who as of yet was not able to fit their bike in one).
How do you get your bike in one?
The cases require you to take off your wheels, seat, pedals, and either loosen and roll your handlebars or take them out all together). Tools are NOT included with the cases -- so be prepared to have a headset wrench and a pedal wrench along with your basic Allen wrenches. You will also need the plastic skewer things to put between the front and back forks. Your bike, shoes, helmet, wetsuit, water bottles, and few other items MAY also fit (depending on your bike size), but watch out for airline weight limits. If you get bike box and still have questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. Or, make arrangements in advance with your favorite bike shop.
Reminder: Be sure that the case isn't too heavy or they will ding you at the airport for being over the weight limit ($$$$$).
Bikes on Airplanes
All airlines charge a fee each way to take your bike -- the fee averages about $80, EACH WAY. This is a revenue generator for the airlines. Also, the cases have GOLDEN GATE TRIATHLON CLUB written all over them and most have race stickers on them so trying to lie about it not being a bike probably won't work. Most airports (SFO for one) require that you check your bike at the Odd Size baggage check in. The cases also fit into the trunk of a large American car (Buick Park Avenue, for example) and generally into the backseat of a 4-door car. Compact 2-doors generally won't work.
Bike cases sent via UPS or other shipping
Please do ~not~ ship the bike unless you are renting a case in the dead of winter or have my prior approval. During the season, the cases are generally fully booked and there have been issues with bike cases not arriving back in time for the next reservation and the next person who had already paid the rental fee was not able to use the case. This causes a lot of stress for the athlete and for the bike case coordinator. If you do this, you may lose your deposit and rental opportunities may be suspended.